Title:Operations and Site Reliability Engineer in Engineering Services team
Salary Range: SALARY IS NOT MENTIONED
Description:VMware Inc., a pioneer in virtualization software, is seeking Mid to Senior Level Operations and Site Reliability Engineer with passion and expertise in coding skills for the VMware Cloud Management’s Engineering Services team.
As a Site Reliability Engineer in the Cloud Management team, you will build and operate cloud management solutions for Vmware services being offered across multiple public and private clouds. Our team focuses on common service components across the stack. We develop and operate solutions to support public cloud management, CI/CD container orchestration, security and monitoring, closing the potential gaps between software and service requirements.
* Are you an innovator and problem solver that love working with new technologies?
* Do you want to be a part of a team that runs one of the largest AWS environments out there?
* Are you passionate about solving cloud management challenges across public, private and hybrid cloud?
* Are you the type of person that can exercise independent decision-making within broadly defined parameters?
If you answered yes to any of the above and are comfortable giving feedback and contributing to the development of new ideas and services, we are the team for you.
Our team of Site Reliability Engineers owns the goal of Service Reliability with a constant eye on improving automation, scale, reliability, security, and visibility of overall production health.
We work with various Software Engineering teams building high performance and reliable cloud systems. You will tackle a verity of business, infrastructure security and application problems in a complex ecosystem. You will collaborate with many SaaS teams across all disciplines. These teams will look to you for support and guidance on how to build and operate complex services. Our team is directly responsible for solutions around cloud management, security, reliability and visibility into cloud systems.
As the SaaS business runs on a 24 by 7 basis, the role requires rotational on-call availability (weekdays at work, evenings and weekend for service/system related incidents).
Success in this role requires very strong technical skills, a broad background and understanding of every layer of the software development and cloud ecosystem and excellent understanding of the cloud and container management stacks. You should be comfortable working independently and as part of a specialized team.
* 3+ years in various DevOps/SRE roles
* 3+ years of experience working with AWS
* Experience administering Linux systems in a production environment
* Experience in building and running large-scale systems and application architectures
* Deep understanding of system performance and monitoring
* Understanding of containers and container orchestration
* Experience in one or more of the following languages: Python, Java, Go and/or NodeJS
* Excellent project management skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced and hectic work environment
* Demonstrate skills in priority setting, analysis, communication, time management, scheduling, and multitasking.
* Proven verbal and written communication skills
* BS or MS degree in Computer Science, or a related field
* Experience with modern container orchestration systems: Kubernetes, Mesos, DC/OS, Swarm
* Experience with infrastructure configuration and automations processes and tools: Terraform, Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Fabric
* Experience with security in the cloud: Intrusion, penetration, and vulnerability scanning
* Experience with monitoring solutions: ELK, Splunk, SUMO, Nagios, Prometheus
* Experience with various data technologies including relational and non-relational databases and message queues
* Good working knowledge of build automation and continuous integration/delivery ecosystem: Git, Gerrit, Maven/Gradle, Jenkins, Docker, Nexus, Artifactory. Selenium
* Attractive compensation package - competitive salary, flexible bonus scheme and additional long-term incentives.
* Individual career path - management and technical career growth, enhanced by learning and development program, regular performance assessment, opportunity to work with international teams of IT professionals.
* Healthy work environment - company sponsored medical insurance program, food and beverage program, sport activities, open communication.
* Work-life balance – 20 calendar days paid vacation, 5 days company paid sick leave, regular team buildings and celebrations.
* We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. VMware is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to increasing diversity in our workplace.
* Work as an integrated member of the dev team to incorporate effective, cost effect and scalable automation into the greenfield engineering efforts.
* Use your background in Dev/Ops to drive new technologies and processes growing productivity.
* Evaluate and improve deployed environments using your expertise in security, networking, public cloud platforms.
* Automate and measure everything that matters on the platform. Make decisions to decide the focus of future work.
* Work with teams around the world to prevent problems before they arise. Your expertise in automation / data collection will help bring ingenious solutions to the teams.
* Have fun doing it. Responsibilities, getting things done and solving hard problems all the while working with cool people. Smile, this is going to rock.